Many times simple fruit-based drinks or comfort foods can provide extra nutrition in an easy to eat form which patients enjoy. Listed below are some delicious recipes to try. Be sure to call the GCS dietitian for other ideas and recipes.
To Ease Constipation
Fruit & Bran:
- ¼ Cup + 2 Tbsp. Bran (Wheat Bran Or 100% Bran Cereal)
- ¼ Cup Applesauce
- 2 Tbsp. Prune Juice
- Mix together and serve on top of whole grain toast or hot cereal. Eat up to three times daily or as needed to ease constipation. Makes 2 servings. Per Serving: 44 calories, 2.5 grams of fiber.
To Prevent Dehydration With Diarrhea
Homemade Electrolyte Replacement Drink:
- 1 Tsp. Table Salt
- 1 Tsp Baking Soda
- 1 Tbsp. Corn Syrup
- 6 Oz. Frozen Orange Juice Concentrate
- 6 Cups Water
- Combine all ingredients and mix well. Refrigerate before drinking. Makes six (1 cup) servings. Per Serving: 97 calories, 17 carbohydrates, 1370 mg sodium, 170 mg potassium, no protein.
To Increase Calories
High Calorie Instant Breakfast Shake:
- 1 Cup Half & Half
- 1 Packet Carnation Instant Breakfast Powder (Any Flavor)
- ¾ Cup Ice Cream (Any Flavor)
- Blend all ingredients. Makes 2 servings. Per Serving: 335 calories, 8 g protein, 31 g carbohydrates, 22 g fat, no fiber.
- 2 T. Orange-Pineapple Juice Concentrate, Undiluted
- ¼ Package Vanilla Instant Breakfast (about 1 T.)
- ¼ Cup Ice Water*
- ½ Cup Evaporated Whole Milk*
- ¼ Cup Lime Sherbet
- Place all ingredients in blender and blend well. Makes 1 serving. Each serving is 315 calories, 12 grams of protein. *To increase calories and protein, add 1 or 2 tablespoons of powdered milk and replace the evaporated milk with cream or half and half or replace the ice water with milk.
Creamy Macaroni And Cheese:
- 1 ¾ Cups Uncooked Macaroni
- ½ Cup Mayonnaise
- 1 Can Cream Of Mushroom Soup
- 2 Cups Cheddar Cheese, Grated
- ¾ Cup Evaporated Milk
- 1 Small Jar Pimento (If Desired)
- ¼ Cup Onion, Chopped (If Desired)
- Preheat the oven to 325° F. Cook the macaroni and drain. Combine all the ingredients in a 2-quart casserole, sprinkling some of the cheese on top. Bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes. Makes 6 servings. Each serving is 460 calories, 20 grams protein.
- ¼ Cup Plain Or Vanilla Yogurt
- ½ Cup Whole Milk
- ½ Cup Canned Apricots (Packed In Heavy Syrup)
- 1 Tbsp. Honey
- Blend ingredients to desired consistency and chill well before serving. Makes 1 serving. Each serving is 280 calories (with plain nonfat yogurt), 8 grams protein.
Peaches And Cream:
- 1 Cup Whole Milk
- 1 Cup Canned Peaches, Including Juice (Packed In Heavy Syrup)
- 1 Cup Vanilla Ice Cream Or Frozen Yogurt
- Almond Or Vanilla Extract To Taste
- Blend ingredients and chill well before serving. Makes 2 servings. Each serving is 300 calories, 7 grams protein.